20 July 2009

Lounging around

On our way to Paris, we transited in the beer capital of Europe. I was expecting an abundance of beer. I wasn't entirely disappointed, for I there was a bar which served German beer, and a shop which sold all manner of Münchner paraphenalia, including traditional German biersteinen.

A vending machine in the men's toilet sold the hope or fantasy of a mile high experience, or perhaps just a way to while away a few hours in the transit lounge.

"Travel Pussy – die künstliche vagina"


Then there was the "Private Shop" in the transit lounge, a "beauty shop" in the domestic depatures terminal owned by the same chain. Of course, these may or may not give an insight into the Germanic psyche, or they could be just a sign of my failing memory. I was in Munich back in 1996, and I am pretty certain these things would have attracted my attention back then.

Another curiosity I saw, Camel and Winston (R.J. Reynolds) had commissioned 'smoke lounges' at its transit lounge. I had never seen this before, probably because I have not been in Europe for a few years. This may be a sign of a supply side measures to boost the tobacco industry since the widespread banning of smoking. The concept fits in well with my libertarian principles. Although I despise cigarette smoke, there was little odour from the noxious fumes from these hermetically sealed chambers.

No comments:

Post a Comment